The popularity of the NexStar 114 models inspired us to go bigger! We are proud to introduce NexStar 130 SLT. The NexStar 130 SLT has 30% more light-gathering power than our 114mm telescope. And the 130 SLT, like the other models in the SLT Series, comes with a fully computerized hand control. The computerized hand control gives you the ability to automatically track to view any of its 4,000+ objects, including over 600 galaxies, 300 clusters, and dozens of beautiful binary stars. With its pre-assembled, adjustable steel tripod, the NexStar 130 SLT can be up and ready to use in a matter of minutes. Our new SkyAlign alignment technology and the included StarPointer Finderscope with a red LED makes aligning a breeze. Begin to explore some of the fainter Messier objects using the additional light-gathering capabilities of the 130 SLT’s 5" primary mirror. Because of the Newtonian design, the mirror gives fully color-corrected views that are best suited for astronomical use.
Portable, User-friendly Design
The internal battery compartment provides power to the high precision servo motors for rigid low-vibration performance while eliminating cord wrap issues associated with external battery packs. With the NexStar's ergonomically-designed hand control, the user is free to remove the hand control from its holder for remote use, or leave it cradled for hands-free operation. With a touch of a button you can select the object catalog, change the slew speed, view fascinating information about an object, or simply know if a desired object is visible in the sky.
- Compatible with 2-inch eyepieces
- High-quality 130mm reflector
- Fully computerized altazimuth mount
- StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects
- Quick-release fork arm mount, optical tube, and accessory tray for quick no-tool set up
- Sturdy stainless steel tripod and accessory tray included
- Includes CD-ROM "The Sky" Astronomy Software, which provides education about the sky and printable sky maps
- Proven NexStar computer control technology.
- Database allows telescope to locate over 4,000 celestial objects.
- SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making for a fast and easy alignment process.
- Flash-upgradable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet.
- Internal battery compartment to prevent cord wrap during use.
- Auxiliary port for additional accessories such as a GPS accessory.
- Includes NSOL telescope control software for basic control of your telescope via computer (with optional RS-232 cable).
- Compatible with optional NexRemote telescope control software for advanced control of your telescope via computer.
About Celestron Reflector Telescopes
A Newtonian reflector uses a single concave mirror as its primary. Light enters the tube traveling to the mirror at the back end. Light is then "bent" forward in the tube to a single point, its focal plane. A flat mirror called a "diagonal" intercepts the light and points it out the side of the tube at right angles to the tube through the eyepiece. The eyepiece is placed there for easy viewing. Newtonian Reflector telescopes replace heavy lenses with mirrors to collect and focus the light, providing much more light gathering power for the money.
You can have focal lengths up to 1000 mm and still enjoy a telescope that is relatively compact and portable. Newtonian Reflector telescopes do require more care and maintenance because the primary mirror is exposed to air and dust. However, this small drawback does not hamper this type of telescope's popularity with those who want an economical telescope that can still resolve faint, distant objects. Newtonian reflectors produce a "right-side-up image" but the image will appear rotated based on the location of the eyepiece holder in relation to the ground. Newtonian reflectors are best for astronomical use where right-side-up does not matter.
- Lowest cost per inch of aperture compared to Refractors and Catadioptrics since mirrors can be produced at less cost than lenses in medium to large apertures
- Reasonably compact and portable up to focal lengths of 1000 mm
- Excellent for faint deep sky objects such as remote galaxies, nebulae and star clusters due to the generally fast focal ratios (f/4 to f/8)
- Adequate for lunar and planetary work
- Good for deep sky astrophotography (but not as convenient and more difficult to use than Catadioptrics)
- Free of color aberration due to the use of a primary mirror
- Generally not suited for terrestrial applications
- Slight light loss due to secondary (diagonal) obstruction when compared with Refractors
Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit, Celestron PowerTank, \The Sky\" Astronomy Software"
Dimensions & Specifications
Good for Astrophotography
Highest Useful Magnification
Objective Lens Size Code
Viewing Galaxies/Star Clusters
Viewing the Moon
Viewing the Planets
Celestron NexStar SLT Telescopes
For the Enthusiast
For the Beginner
DocumentationDownload Celestron NexStar 130 SLT Telescope User Manual
Download Celestron NexStar SLT Telescopes Information Sheet
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Celestron has a limited lifetime binocular and spotting scope warranty and all other products have a 2 year manufacturer's warranty covers against defects is provided. If you have specific questions about this product's warranty please contact Celestron's Customer Service department at 310-328-9560.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Q1: How much does it weigh? How small will it fold into? Is it easily transportable?
A: The telescope's complete weight is 18 lbs. The telescope can detach from the mount and the tripod can fold down but it will require some separation of pieces to break it down. Once you break it down it is easy to transport.
Q2: is there a case for the 130slt?
A: There is no case available for the Celestron 130SLT at this time.
Q3: What do the different filters do? Is there one that you can view the Sun?
A: The filters with this kit are used to change the color skew of the object being viewed. For example, if you were to look at mars and it looks too red to make out a good amount of detail, you can apply a blue filter and the details would "pop" out. We do have filters that will allow you to view the sun. They are called solar filters and they can be applied to the end of your telescope so that you can view the sun.