ZWO ASI294MC Pro USB 3.0 Cooled Color Astronomy Camera - ASI294MC-P
ZWO ASI174MM Cooled USB 3.0 Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera with EFW Mini & 1.25" LRGB Filters - ASI174MM-COOL-KIT is no longer available.
We recommend these products instead:
ZWO ASI290MM Cooled USB 3.0 Monochrome Imaging Camera with EFW Mini & 1.25" LRGB Filter Set - ASI290MM-COOL-KIT1
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro Cooled Monochrome Astronomy Camera - ASI1600MM-P
ZWO ASI174 Cooled Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera
When it comes to innovative functionality, ZWO's ASI174MM Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera surpasses the ASI120MM-S in more ways than one. These features include a high-speed USB hub, a standard 2” interface with M42x0.75 internal threads, and an AR window. However, the ZWO ASI174 camera has one important difference except, of course, for the two-stage TEC cooling function, and that is the inclusion of a Sony IMX174 monochrome CMOS sensor. This image sensor has a lot going for it when it comes to high quality solar, lunar, planetary, and deep sky imaging.
Regulated Two Stage TEC Cooling!
The cooled version of the ZWO ASI174MM camera allows the sensor to be cooled to 35ºC to 40ºC degrees below ambient. Below are the extra features that can be found on the camera body, specifically related to the cooling feature:
- Just below the USB hub (dual 2.0 Out and 3.0 In), you'll find a 2.1 mm center positive input for a cooler power supply (not included). ZWO recommends 12VDC at 2A max.
- Below the power supply input is a Cooler Power indicator LED light.
- A huge heat sink, which is nearly 2/3 the size of the camera, is located on the side of the body.
- The top of the camera sports a MagLev fan, which utilizes the attraction of the magnetic levitation force for low acoustic noise, high-temperature endurance, and long life.
Cooler power supply required. We recommend a 12V at 2.5A or more DC adapter and a battery from 9-15V to power your cooler.
Sony IMX174 CMOS Sensor Features
- 1/1.2” CMOS: The Sony IMX174 is a 13.4mm (Type 1/1.2) CMOS image sensor with 2.35 MP effective pixels in a 1936 x 1216 array. Pixel size is 5.86 µm x 5.86 µm.
- Preqius Global Shutter: The development of a new pixel with analog memory allows for all pixels to be scanned at once. This global shutter function on the Sony IMX174 sensor means images taken of moving objects will not suffer from focal plane distortion, resulting in high picture quality. This is a really nice feature, especially when you are doing lunar or solar imaging. Bad seeing, wind, or movement can distort the image if the readout speed is not fast enough (<30fps).
- Exmor High-Performance: Exmor is a Sony trademark, and that label means the CMOS image sensor is considered a high-performance model, with high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation by using column-parallel A/D conversion.
- High QE, Low Noise: As a general rule, we should be aiming for high QE and low noise. The peak quantum efficiency (QE) for the ZWO AIS174 camera is 78%. The QE curve is slightly higher in B & G than the ASI120, and slightly lower is R and IR. Oh, the read noise? It measures out at only 6e-!
- High Frame Rate: At full resolution, the Sony IMX174 sensor operates at 128.2 frames per second at 12-bit ADC and 164.5 frames per second at 10-bit ADC.
- ROI Mode: Achieve an even higher frame rate with ROI (Region of Interest) mode. This mode allows you to set a maximum of 16 areas for capture inside the effective pixels area.
- Everything you will need to control your ZWO camera is available and easily downloadable in one centralized location on the ZWO website. Click here for ZWO Software Downloads.
Please Note: This camera works with Windows 8.1 as long as you have the recommended driver installed (available on the ZWO website at zwoptical.com).
ZWO EFW Mini Filter Wheel
The ZWO Mini Electronic Filter Wheel, or EFW Mini, is amazingly small and lightweight! It weighs just 10.58 ounces (300 grams) and the filter wheel is super thin at only .79”, or 20mm.
The ZWO EFW Mini is small enough to fit in your hand, but it is rugged. The black anodized body is CNC machined from a block of aircraft-grade aluminum, and the stepper motor is made in Japan by NPM.
The five-position color filter wheel, which can rotate in either direction, accepts either 1.25” or 31mm filters, which are sold separately.
To use the ZWO EFW Mini filter wheel, install the ASCOM driver and plug the included USB2.0 cable into the USB port on your camera. Alternately, you can connect the EFW Mini via the USB cable directly to your computer.
Other included accessories are a T2 nosepiece, a Holder-T2 and T2-T2 Adapter, and a 5-position filter carousel that will accept 1.25” mounted filters or 31mm unmounted filters that can be held in place with M2 retaining screws.
The ASCOM driver is compatible with a wide range of control software.
ZWO 1.25" LRGB Filter Set
- The ZWO LRGB Filter Set includes four filters: 1.25" Luminance (IR-CUT), 1.25" Red, 1.25" Blue, and 1.25" Green.
- Each filter in the ZWO LRGB filter set delivers over 90% light transmission.
- All filters are housed in a sturdy filter cell and have Anti-Reflective coatings.
- ZWO ASI174MM Cooled Monochrome USB 3.0 CMOS Astronomy Camera
- EFW Mini Electronic Filter Wheel for 1.25" Filters
- New 1.25" Luminance Filter
- New 1.25" Red Filter
- New 1.25" Green Filter
- New 1.25" Blue Filter
- Camera Bag
- USB 3.0 Cable
- Two 0.5 m USB 2.0 Cables
- 1.25" Nosepiece
- 1.25" Cover
- Quick Guide
Dimensions & Specifications
- Sensor: Sony 1/1.2” CMOS monochrome
- Resolution: 2.3 MP
- Image Array: 1936 x 1216
- Pixel Size: 5.86 µm square
- Max Frame Rate at Full Resolution: 164 fps
- Max Frame Rate at 640 x 480: 397 fps
- Window: IR-Cut
- USB Hub: Yes
- Shutter: Global
- Minimum Exposure: 32 µs
- Maximum Exposure: 1000 seconds
- Peak QE: 78%
- Read Noise: 3.5e to 6e
- Saturation Capacity: 32K
- Dynamic Range: 72dB
- Gain: 8 e-/ADU low speed; 32 e-/ADU high speed
- Interface: USB 3.0/USB 2.0
- Bit Rate: 12bit output (12-bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2” to 1.25”/M42x0.75
- Dimensions: 78mm diameter
- Weight: 14 oz.
- Back Focus Distance: 17.5mm
- Cooling: Regulated two stage TEC
- Delta T: 35-40 degrees C
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of