ZWO ASI294MC Pro USB 3.0 Cooled Color Astronomy Camera - ASI294MC-P
ZWO ASI178MM Cooled Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera - ASI178MM-COOL is no longer available.
We recommend these products instead:
ZWO ASI290MM Cooled USB 3.0 Monochrome Imaging Camera with EFW Mini & 1.25" LRGB Filter Set - ASI290MM-COOL-KIT1
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro Cooled Monochrome Astronomy Camera - ASI1600MM-P
ZWO ASI178MM Cooled Monochrome CMOS Astronomy Camera
The ZWO ASI178MM is loaded with the Sony IMX178 back-illuminated, 6.4 MP pixel image sensor. The 1/1.8" sensor has an array of 3096 x 2080 pixels that are 2.4 µm square. With a two-stage TEC cooling system, 14bit ADC, super low read noise of 2.2 e, and high sensitivity, the ZWO ASI178MM would make a great camera for microscopy as well as astronomy.
Regulated Two Stage TEC Cooling!
The cooled version of the ZWO ASI178MM camera allows the sensor to be cooled to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient. Below are the extra features that can be found on the camera body, specifically related to the cooling feature:
- Just below the USB hub (dual 2.0 Out and 3.0 In), you'll find a 2.1 mm center positive input for a cooler power supply (not included). ZWO recommends 12VDC at 2A max.
- Below the power supply input is a Cooler Power indicator LED light.
- A huge heat sink, which is nearly 2/3 the size of the camera, is located on the side of the body.
- The top of the camera sports a MagLev fan, which utilizes the attraction of the magnetic levitation force for low acoustic noise, high temperature endurance, and long life.
Sony IMX178 CMOS Sensor Features
- High sensitivity, high resolution, and high dynamic range is yours with the Sony IMX178 back-illuminated CMOS image sensor!
- The IMX178 is an "Exmor R" sensor, with significantly enhanced imaging characteristics, including sensitivity and low noise, by changing fundamental structure of "Exmor" adopted column-parallel A/D converter to back-illuminated type.
- Sony STARVIS sensors, of which the IMX178 is one, features sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm²*, and realizes high picture quality in the visible and near infrared light regions.
- High dynamic range was achieved by featuring 14-bit ADC, which reduced quantization noise and suppressed dark random noise. This enables clear image quality in light and dark areas, even when imaging objects with high contrast.
- Everything you will need to control your ZWO camera is available and easily downloadable in one centralized location on the ZWO website. Click here for ZWO Software Downloads.
Cooler Power Supply Required. We recommend a 12V at 2.5A or more DC adapter and a battery from 9-15V to power your cooler.
Please Note: This camera works with Windows 8.1 as long as you have the recommended driver installed.
*When imaging with a 706 cd/m2 light source, F5.6 in 1 s accumulation equivalent.
- ZWO AS178MM Cooled USB 3.0 CMOS Monochrome Camera
- 1.25" Nosepiece
- 1.25" Cover
- USB 3.0 Cable
- ST4 Guide Cable
- Desiccant Tabs
- 21mm Extender
- 16.5mm Extender
- Two Spacers
- Driver & Extra Software CD
Dimensions & Specifications
- Sensor: Sony 1/1.8" IMX178 CMOS monochrome
- Resolution: 6.4 MP
- Image Array: 3096 x 2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4 µm x 2.4 µm
- Max Frame Rate at Full Resolution: 60 FPS
- Max Frame Rate at 640 x 480: 253.1 FPS
- Window: IR-Cut
- USB Hub: Yes
- Shutter: Rolling
- Minimum Exposure: 32 µs
- Maximum Exposure: 1000 seconds
- Read Noise: 1.4e to 2.2e
- Interface: USB 3.0/USB 2.0
- Bit Rate: 14bit output (14-bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2” to 1.25”/M42x0.75
- Back Focus Distance: 17.5mm
- Dimensions: 78mm diameter
- Weight: 14 oz.
- Saturation Capacity: 19.2k
- Cooling: Regulated Two Stage TEC
- Delta T: 35-40ºC
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of