ZWO ASI294MC Pro USB 3.0 Cooled Color Astronomy Camera - ASI294MC-P
ZWO ASI178MM Cooled USB 3.0 Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera Kit with EFW Mini and 1.25" LRGB Filter Set - ASI178MM-COOL-KIT is no longer available.
We recommend these products instead:
ZWO ASI290MM Cooled USB 3.0 Monochrome Imaging Camera with EFW Mini & 1.25" LRGB Filter Set - ASI290MM-COOL-KIT1
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro Cooled Monochrome Astronomy Camera - ASI1600MM-P
ZWO ASI178MM Cooled Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera Kit
This ZWO ASI178MM has been enhanced with the Sony IMX178 back-illuminated, 6.4 MP pixel image sensor. The 1/1.8" sensor has an array of 3096 x 2080 pixels that are 2.4 µm square. With a two-stage TEC cooling system, 14bit ADC, super low read noise of 2.2 e, and high sensitivity, the ZWO ASI178MM would make a great camera for microscopy as well as astronomy.
Regulated Two Stage TEC Cooling!
The cooled version of the ZWO ASI178MM camera allows the sensor to be cooled to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient. Below are the extra features that can be found on the camera body, specifically related to the cooling feature:
- Just below the USB hub (dual 2.0 Out and 3.0 In), you'll find a 2.1 mm center positive input for a cooler power supply (not included). ZWO recommends 12VDC at 2A max.
- Below the power supply input is a Cooler Power indicator LED light.
- A huge heat sink, which is nearly 2/3 the size of the camera, is located on the side of the body.
- The top of the camera sports a MagLev fan, which utilizes the attraction of the magnetic levitation force for low acoustic noise, high-temperature endurance, and long life.
Cooler power supply required. We recommend a 12V at 2.5A or more DC adapter and a battery from 9-15V to power your cooler.
Sony IMX178 CMOS Sensor Features
- High sensitivity, high resolution, and high dynamic range are yours with the Sony IMX178 back-illuminated CMOS image sensor!
- The IMX178 is an "Exmor R" sensor, with significantly enhanced imaging characteristics, including sensitivity and low noise, by changing the fundamental structure of "Exmor" adopted column-parallel A/D converter to back-illuminated type.
- Sony STARVIS sensors, of which the IMX178 is one, features sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1µm²* and realizes high picture quality in the visible and near-infrared light regions.
- The high dynamic range was achieved by featuring 14 bit ADC, which reduced quantization noise and suppressed dark random noise. This enables clear image quality in light and dark areas, even when imaging objects with high contrast.
- Everything you will need to control your ZWO camera is available and easily downloadable in one centralized location on the ZWO website. Click here for ZWO Software Downloads.
Please Note: This camera works with Windows 8.1 as long as you have the recommended driver installed.
*When imaging with a 706 cd/m2 light source, F5.6 in 1 s accumulation equivalent.
ZWO Mini Electronic Filter Wheel
The ZWO Mini Electronic Filter Wheel, or EFW Mini, is amazingly small and lightweight! It weighs just 10.58 ounces (300 grams) and the filter wheel is super thin at only .79”, or 20mm.
The ZWO EFW Mini is small enough to fit in your hand, but it is rugged. The black anodized body is CNC machined from a block of aircraft-grade aluminum, and the stepper motor is made in Japan by NPM.
The five-position color filter wheel, which can rotate in either direction, accepts either 1.25” or 31mm filters, which are sold separately.
To use the ZWO EFW Mini filter wheel, install the ASCOM driver and plug the included USB2.0 cable into the USB port on your camera. Alternately, you can connect the EFW Mini via the USB cable directly to your computer.
Other included accessories are a T2 nosepiece, a Holder-T2 and T2-T2 Adapter, and a 5-position filter carousel that will accept 1.25” mounted filters or 31mm unmounted filters that can be held in place with M2 retaining screws.
The ASCOM driver is compatible with a wide range of control software.
ZWO 1.25" LRGB Filter Set
- The ZWO LRGB Filter Set includes four filters: 1.25" Luminance (IR-CUT), 1.25" Red, 1.25" Blue, and 1.25" Green.
- Each filter in the ZWO LRGB filter set delivers over 90% light transmission.
- All filters are housed in a sturdy filter cell and have Anti-Reflective coatings.
- ZWO AS178MM USB 3.0 Cooled Mono CMOS Imaging Camera
- EFW Mini Electronic Filter Wheel for 1.25" Filters
- 1.25" Luminance Filter
- 1.25" Red Filter
- 1.25" Blue Filter
- 1.25" Green Filter
Dimensions & Specifications
- Sensor: Sony 1/1.8" IMX178 CMOS monochrome
- Resolution: 6.4 MP
- Image Array: 3096 x 2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4 µm square
- Max Frame Rate at Full Resolution: 60 fps
- Max Frame Rate at 640 x 480: 253.1 fps
- Window: IR-Cut
- USB Hub: Yes
- Shutter: Rolling
- Minimum Exposure: 32 µs
- Maximum Exposure: 1000 seconds
- Read Noise: 1.4e to 2.2e
- Interface: USB 3.0/USB 2.0
- Bit Rate: 14bit output (14-bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2” to 1.25”/M42x0.75
- Back Focus Distance: 17.5mm
- Dimensions: 78mm diameter
- Weight: 14 oz.
- OS Compatibility: Mac; Windows; Linux
- Saturation Capacity: 19.2k
- Cooling: Regulated Two-Stage TEC
- Delta T: 35-40 degrees C
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of