Celestron Sky Maps with Glow-in-the-Dark Star Finder - 93722
Apertura 8" Dobsonian Telescope
With Lots of Free Upgrades & Accessories!TelescopesPlus is excited to announce the return of the legendary Apertura Dobsonian! Apertura Dobsonian Telescopes are one of the most highly rated Dobsonian Telescopes on the market today, and it's not hard to see why! This 8" reflecting telescope comes with quality optics figured to an astounding 1/12th wave! The shiny black optical tube rides on an easy-to-use Dobsonian mount that is a cinch to learn how to use and enjoy, for adults as well as older children. This decked out telescope package also included over $300 worth of accessories and upgrades that will make the Apertura AD8 ready to use and enjoy right out of the box!Check out the huge list of telescope upgrades and accessories below and, coupled with the optical quality and superb mechanical build, you'll see why this 8" Dobsonian telescope beats the competition hands-down:
- Full Sized Right Angle 9x50 Finder Scope
- 2" Dual Speed 10:1 Micro Focuser
- 1.25" Focuser Adapter
- Laser Collimator
- Premium 30mm 2" Super Wide Angle Eyepiece
- 9mm Super Plossl 1.25" Eyepiece
- 35mm Extension Tube
- 1.25" Moon Filter
- Primary Mirror Cooling Fan
- 4-Hole Eyepiece Tray
You'll be ready to observe the Universe right out of the box with this Apertura 8" Dobsonian telescope! The AD8 package includes everything you'll need to get started, including a full-sized right-angle (RA) image correct 8x50 finder scope, two eyepieces, a laser collimator, cooling fan, and more. With 8" of aperture, the Apertura AD8 Dob will display Jupiter and its moons, Saturn with his stunning ring system, the "Red Planet" Mars and the Moon...you won't believe how close the Moon will look when viewed through the AD8! On a steady night of viewing, you can explore the equatorial belts around Jupiter, spy Cassini's Division in Saturn's rings, or study the polar ice caps and dusky maria on the surface of Mars...but that's not all! Literally, thousands of celestial objects will be visible with your Dobsonian Reflector. Everything from huge galaxies, nebulae and star clusters to smaller planetary nebulae, double stars, and millions of suns in the far off regions of space will be within the grasp of your telescope.
Apertura AD8 Dobsonian Highlights...
- The 8" parabolic mirror on the AD8 is made from quality materials and is figured to 1/12th wave. It is finished off with an aluminum and silicon dioxide coating that offers 93% reflectivity to ensure stunningly bright images.
- The AD8 optical tube assembly is made from steel for durability and beauty and is fitted with a 2" dual speed 10:1 Crayford-style focuser for smooth, easy focusing. A 2" to 1.25" adapter is included so you can use both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces and accessories, and we even include a 35mm Extension Tube to extend the focus range required for some eyepieces.
- The mirror sits at the end of the OTA in an adjustable mirror cell. When it comes time to make adjustments to your mirror for precise alignment, use the include Laser Collimator and then tweak the mirror's position in the cell with the hand-adjustable knobs. No tools are needed except your hands!
- A battery-operated cooling fan is attached to the back side of the mirror cell to help your telescope reach ambient temperature quickly and efficiently. The fan runs on eight (8) AA batteries that are provided by the customer.
- The telescope's base, aka rocker box, is what differentiates a Dobsonian from other Newtonian telescopes. The Apertura AD8 tube assembly sits on the base with ease, and then the telescope can be manually moved up, down or to either side.
- To easily move the AD8 up and down but help it to stay in the desired position, the telescope tension can be adjusted to match the weight of accessories on the tube assembly. To use this system, just turn the large aluminum knobs on either side of the telescope to tighten or loosen the tension until everything balances perfectly. Easy and fast!
- The bottom of the telescope's base is styled like a "Lazy Susan". An azimuth roller bearing provides dozens of support points for smooth, 360º motion, and sealed ball bearings keep movements in altitude easy and smooth as well.
- Accessories include a right angle, image-correct (RAIC) 8x50 finderscope to assist you in locating objects, a 2" 30mm Super View eyepiece, a 9mm Super Plossl 1.25" Eyepiece, a 2" to 1.25" adapter and a 35mm Extension Tube for the telescope's amazing focuser, a laser collimator (which is almost never included with a telescope), a 1.25" Moon filter, a 4-hole eyepiece tray and snap-in dust cover.
How to Set Up & Use the AD8 Dobsonian
A Dobsonian is perfect for beginners as well as advanced amateur astronomers. Unlike computerized telescopes, a classic Dobsonian does not find objects for you. You do that yourself. It may be a challenge at times, but you will have the honor of learning the night sky. To set the Apertura Dobsonian up for a night of viewing, just put the rocker box on a fairly level surface, set the optical tube in the cradle, slide the finder scope on, put an eyepiece in the focuser, and start observing. There are no motors or electronics to deal with, and you won't hear anything except the hum of the fan during cool down. To move the telescope, push or rotate it in the direction you wish to go, and use the 8X50 finderscope to help you center the object in your field of view.
This telescope has a unique design that allows for easier balancing of the telescope in altitude. A two-piece CNC machined aluminum side bearing holds the weight of the telescope OTA, and when you need to make tension adjustments, say because you added a heavier eyepiece or other accessory, all you need to do is turn the knurled knob (there’s one on each side of the rocker box). With a little bit of experimentation, you’ll find the perfect balance for your Apertura AD8 Dobsonian!
We recommend a planisphere for your latitude to help you get your bearings and find brighter objects, as well as a more extensive star chart of some kind to help you locate fainter objects. There are several inexpensive (or free) programs and/or websites available that allow you to print out a nightly star chart for your location and observing date and time.
- Apertura 8" Newtonian Telescope OTA
- Primary Mirror Cooling Fan (8-AA Batteries Not Included)
- Dobsonian Base
- 2" Crayford-style Dual Speed Micro 10:1 Focuser
- 1.25" Adapter for Focuser
- 8x50 Right Angle Correct Image Finder and Bracket
- 9mm Plossl Eyepiece - 1.25"
- 30mm Super View Eyepiece - 2"
- 35mm Extension Tube
- 1.25" Moon Filter
- 4-Slot Eyepiece Tray
- Laser Collimator with Battery
Dimensions & Specifications
Primary Mirror Diameter: 8"
Primary Mirror Details: Thickness .98" Parabolic 1/12 wave
Primary Mirror Coating: Aluminum and silicon dioxide (SiO2); Reflectivity = 93%
Secondary Mirror Details: Minor Axis 1.96" / Major Axis 2.71" / Thickness .37"
Secondary Mirror Coating: Aluminum and silicon dioxide (SiO2); reflectivity = 93%
Optical Design: Newtonian Reflector
Mount Design: Dobsonian clutch mounting with tension knobs
Focal Length: 1200mm
Focal Ratio: f/5.9
Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 14
Focuser: 2 inch dual speed Micro 10:1 Crayford style
Eyepiece 1: 2" Superview 30mm / 68 Degree FOV / 22mm Eye Relief
Eyepiece 2: 1.25" Super-Plossl 9mm / 52 Degree FOV / 6mm Eye Relief
Finderscope: Right-Angle Correct-Image 8 x 50 viewer
Optical Tube Length: 46.13"
Base Height: 27.38"
Base Diameter: 19.25"
Fully Assembled Height: 51.75"
Optical Tube Assembly Weight: 24.5 lb.
Base Weight: 27.7 lb.
Fully Assembled Weight: 52.2 lb.
Warranty: 1 year for materials and workmanship
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Apertura Absolute Warranty: Initial 2 year warranty against product defects, followed by a 3 year accident replacement program.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of