Apertura DT12 12" Dobsonian Telescope
Apertura never forgets how important it is to have an incredibly functional and great performing Dobsonian telescope, especially if you are just starting in the world of astronomy. The DT Dobs from Apertura are joining the ranks of fantastic Dobsonians that are great for beginners or established amateur astronomers. The Apertura DT Series telescopes make the most out of its Dobsonian design and give observers a chance to explore the night sky at a reasonable price. Dobsonian telescopes are known for creating fantastic memories of the night sky in the minds of children and adults alike. With the portability of this telescope, you can use this telescope to introduce yourself, your friends, your family, and even those in your neighborhood to the wonders of the universe! Once you get bit by the astronomy bug, you'll be sure to have countless adventures, and you will be glad that you started with the Apertura 12" DT telescope, which provides enough light gathering to see faint objects in deep space. For those embarking on the adventure that is amateur astronomy, this telescope is a great first companion. Dobsonian telescopes are incredibly easy to use, as they use the simple yet ingenious Dobsonian "Lazy-Susan" base.
The OTA itself is made from steel so that it is durable and beautiful.
How to Set Up & Use the DT12 Dobsonian
A Dobsonian is perfect for beginners as well as advanced amateur astronomers. Unlike computerized telescopes, a classic Dobsonian does not find objects for you. You do that yourself. It may be a challenge at times, but it is a great way to learn the night sky. To set up the Apertura Dobsonian, put the rocker box on fairly level ground, set the optical tube in the cradle, slide the finder scope on, put an eyepiece in the focuser, and start observing. To move the telescope, push or rotate it in the direction you wish to go, and use the 8X50 finderscope to help you center the object in your field of view.
The 12" parabolic mirror on the DT12 is made from quality materials and is figured to 1/12th wave. It is finished off with an aluminum and silicon dioxide coating that offers 93% reflectivity to ensure stunningly bright images. The primary mirror sits at the end of the OTA in an adjustable mirror cell.
- Primary Mirror Details: Thickness 1.48", Parabolic, 1/12 wave
- Sec. Mirror Details: Minor Axis 2.76", Major Axis 3.86", Thickness 0.47"
- Primary Mirror Coating: Aluminum & silicone dioxide; Reflectivity = 93%
- Sec. Mirror Coating: Aluminum & silicone dioxide; Reflectivity = 93%
The Apertura DT12 comes with a 2" Crayford style focuser, an 8x50 straight through finder, a 25mm eyepiece, and a lens cap:
- Crayford Style 2" Focuser : This single speed, 2" focuser is great for obtaining a focus that resists wobble and backlash. The smooth spring loaded shaft will ensure that you keep focus throughout your observations. It will accept 1.25" and 2" eyepieces and accessories with the included 2" to 1.25" adapter.
- 8x50 Straight Through Finder: This 8x50 (8 power, 50mm) finder is a great way to help you find celestial objects, whether it means centering the moon or taking a gander at the stars in Orion's Belt. The finder scope provides sharp views with a built-in focusing system near the front of the tube. The straight through design also eliminates the need for a correct image erecting prism
- 25mm Plossl Eyepiece: The 25mm Plossl Eyepiece is a fantastic addition to this DT12 Dob. The eyepiece has a 1.25" barrel, a 52° field of view, and 22mm of eye relief. It can also accept 1.25" filters and has a 4-element optical lens design. With the multi-coated lens surface and the blackened lens edges, this eyepiece is great for delivering crisp and clear images!
- Lens Cap: Apertura includes a lens cap with the purchase of the DT12. While not in use, placing the lens cap on the front end of the telescope will protect in the mirrors from the majority of the dust accumulation.
This Product Comes with the Apertura Absolute Warranty!
- Two-Year Warranty against product defects.
- Three-Year Accident Replacement Program that begins after your initial 2 year warranty expires.
- Your Apertura Absolute Warranty is transferable.
Download a copy of the Apertura Absolute Warranty for more information on this program, how to make a claim, and why it is important to keep your original receipt and the product's original boxes & packaging!
- Apertura DT12 12" Dobsonian Telescope
- Single Speed Crayford Style 2" Focuser
- 2" to 1.25" Adapter
- 8x50 Straight Through Finder
- 25mm Plossl Eyepiece
- Lens Cap
- Eyepiece Holder
Dimensions & Specifications
- Type: Newtonian
- Mount Type: Alt-Az
- Aperture: 12" (305mm)
- Focal Length: 1520mm
- Focal Ratio: f/5
- Eyepiece: 25mm Plossl
- Finder: 8x50 Straight
- Focuser: 2" Crayford Style
- Storage Aid: Lens Cap
- OTA Length: 57.38"
- Base Height: 27.5"
- Base Diameter: 24.88"
- Total Height: 63.75"
- OTA Weight: 47.8 lb.
- Base Weight: 38.3 lb.
- Total Weight: 86.1 lb.
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Apertura Absolute Warranty: Initial 2 year warranty against product defects, followed by a 3 year accident replacement program.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of