Celestron Camera Adapter - Sony Mirrorless Camera to 8" RASA - 93405
Celestron CGX 800 RASA
This package pairs the Celestron 8" Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) optical tube with the cutting-edge CGX German equatorial mount. With the addition of a camera, this kit provides all an imager needs to capture stunning wide-field images of deep sky objects. Although similar in size to the CGEM II, the CGX takes it to the next level in terms of performance and features, particularly where imaging applications are concerned.
RASA Performance Made For Everyone
With this new portable Celestron astrograph, the 8" RASA (Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph), you'll be able to capture breathtaking wide field views of deep sky objects in a matter of seconds. The 8" RASA's awesomely fast f/2.0 optical system works perfectly in conjuction with modern color astronomical CMOS, smaller CCD, and mirrorless cameras. This combination of a fast focal ratio and patented optical design generates sharp images with superb detail, and, in many instances, allows you to completely skip the autoguider. Plus, as it weighs only 17 pounds, transporting your 8" RASA to distant dark sky locations is easy.
Delivering a flat field free of optical aberrations, this Celestron 8" RASA imaging telescope provides razor sharp stars over the entire field of view. For a much more affordable cost compared to longer focal length telescopes, the 8" RASA is capable of capturing spectacular images of deep sky objects without the issues typically encounted with these aforementioned systems.
This 8" model is the most recent addition to the RASA lineup. It offers greater portability and is much more affordable when compared to the popular 11" RASA which was highly acclaimed when it was introduced in 2014. With the addition of the economical 8" RASA, more astrophotographers will be able to take advantage of the Rowe-Ackermann design. This 8" and 11" RASAs share many of the same attentively designed features such as a built-in air-cooling system, internal filter mount, and durable CGE dovetail mounting bar.
Made specifically for imaging applications, the 8" RASA is not suitable for visual use. Traditional eyepieces cannot be accommodated as the prime focus focal plane is located at the front of the optical system.
Shorter Exposure Times and Virtual "Real-Time" Observing
Due to its extremely fast f/2.0 optical system, imagers can use minimal exposure times with the 8" RASA to capture enhanced detail in dim targets. When employed in conjunction with sensitive cameras and the appropriate "live stacking" software, the 8" RASA is capable of delivering a virtual real-time observing experience. Instantly view images on a computer with more brightness and detail than can be viewed with the naked eye using much larger telescopes.
Ultra-Stable Focus System
To coincide with the launch of the 8" RASA, Celestron is introducing a new focuser design that alleviates lateral movement of the primary mirror while the telescope is focusing, slewing, or tracking. This makes focusing easier, as well as more stable and accurate than ever before. At the core of this Ultra-Stable Focus System is two sets of precision bearings that have been precisely aligned and tested during construction for results that are guaranteed to be optimal.
Built for Today's Latest Cameras
Unlike larger RASA telescopes that work with DSLR and large CCD cameras, the 8" model was designed with color CMOS cameras, smaller CCD cameras, and mirrorless cameras in mind. This astrograph telescope is not compatible with standard DSLR cameras. Optimized for sensors with up to a 22 mm diagonal, the 8" RASA also performs well with sensor diagonals measuring up to 32 mm. APS-C sized sensors usedin many mirrorless cameras are a good choice. 42 mm full frame sensors will also work, but performance will be poor at the edges of the sensor with reduced field illumination. Additionally, Celestron does not endorse pairing the 8" RASA with any camera body wider than 4".
Unique Optical Design
The RASA optical design consists of a Schmidt corrector, primary mirror, lens group, and optical window. The 4-element lens group uses rare-earth elements. Contrary to many telescopes that only offer great performance within the visible spectrum (400 nm to 700 nm), the 8" RASA's optical system has been designed for strong performance that covers a wider 390 nm to 800 nm spectral range. This lets in more sharply focused light transmitted by your target astronomical object to make it to your image.
With many imaging systems, adding an extra piece of flat glass such as a filter will not alter optical performance. However, that is not the case with super fast optical systems like the RASA. Celestron's engineers have addressed this by designing the RASA with a removeable optical window to allow peak optical performance to be maintained if a filter is added or if a camera has its own optical window. Celestron offers a Light Pollution Imaging Filter designed specifically for the 8" RASA that mounts in place of the optical window.
Celestron StarBright XLT coatings cover all refractive optical surfaces, while enhanced aluminum coatings cover the primary mirror. This keeps light transmission high throughout the whole optical system. With the 8" RASA, you'll get better optical performance and field illumination than with "Hyperstar SCT" systems.
Celestron CGX Computerized GoTo German Equatorial Mount
The all-new design of the Celestron CGX mount is the culmination of years of GEM mount design by Celestron’s engineers. Always on the cutting edge of mount design, functionality and engineering, Celestron has achieved a new level of state-of-the-art with the CGX Series Equatorial Mount. The increased load capacity of 55 pounds will accommodate larger optical tube assemblies, and won’t blink an eye when you add a camera, autoguider with rings, focal reducer, filter wheel, and other imaging accessories that help you create amazing astro-images. This increased capacity and rigidity does not come at the expense of portability. The Celestron CGX EQ Mount only weighs 44 pounds, and the tripod weighs just 19.2 pounds.
The innovative CGX has a lower profile than mounts that have come before it. Well-placed carry handles and ergonomic lock knobs make it easy to set up and make adjustments to the mount. a dual fix CGE/CG-5 dovetail saddle accepts your choice of OTA. The CGX is more responsive, with spring-loaded worm gears and belt drives that minimize backlash. Internal cabling means power and accessory ports do not move with the mount, and there are also home & limit switches as well as internal hard stops for both RA and Dec to prevent cable wrap and tripod strike.
Tracking 20 degrees past the meridian on either side, the Celestron CGX equatorial mount maximizes optimal imaging time. Technologies such as SkyPortal WiFi and StarSense AutoAlign are supported, and All Star Polar Alignment technology is built-in, for faster and easier polar alignment. New telescope control software for automation and remote operation has been designed for the Celestron CGX in conjunction with Planewave Instruments. This software features multi-point GoTo modeling, focusing and plate solving. With this innovative software, no third party advanced PC control software is needed! An intuitive hand controller allows you to align and move the CGX with ease.
Graduated markings on the included CGX tripod's 2" steel legs enable quick leveling. The spreader bar contributes additional stability to this heavy-duty tripod while providing a few places for you to store your extra eyepieces while observing.
Celestron CGX Equatorial Mount Highlights
- The CGX mount features a large 55 pound weight capacity!
- More responsive, the CGX mount has spring-loaded worm gears with belt drives to minimize backlash.
- Easily mount a wide range of optical tube assemblies on the CGX dual-fit CG-5 (Vixen)/CGEM (Losmandy) dovetail saddle plate.
- Internal cabling, Home and Limit switches, internal hard stops for both axes work to prevent cable wrap, tripod strike, and keep your cables safe and out of the way.
- The CGX tracks 20 degrees past the meridian on either side, supporting you in your astro-imaging endeavors.
- All-Star Polar Alignment technology is built-in for easier and faster polar alignment. The CGX mount also supports StarSense AutoAlign.
- Improved ergonomics and intuitive carry-handles.
- Sophisticated telescope control software is all new and designed in conjunction with Planewave Instruments. Features include multi-point GoTo modeling, focusing and plate solving.
- No third party advanced PC control software is necessary.
- At just 44 pounds, this mount is very portable.
- Included heavy-duty tripod has 2" stainless steel legs with graduated marks to make leveling easier.
- Celestron 8" RASA Astrograph Telescope
- CGX Computerized Equatorial Mount
- 2" Steel Tripod with Accessory Tray
- NexStar+ Hand Controller
- 2x 11 lb. Counterweights
- CGE Dovetail Bar
- M42 Camera Adapter
- C-Thread Camera Adapter
- Fan Battery Pack
- 8mm Allen Wrench
- 12V DC Power Cable
- Celestron PWI Computer Control Software
- Starry Night Special Edition Software
Dimensions & Specifications
- Optical Design: Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph
- Aperture: 203mm (8")
- Focal Length: 400mm
- Focal Ratio: f/2.0
- Central Obstruction Diameter: 93mm (3.66"); 46% of aperture diameter
- Light Gathering Power: 843x the human eye
- Rayleigh Resolution: 0.68 arcseconds
- Dawes Resolution: 0.57 arcseconds
- Image Circle: 22mm (0.86")
- Usable Field: 32mm (1.26"); 4.6º with only minimal loss of performance at the edge of the field of view
- Wavelength Range: 390 - 800 nm
- Spot Size: <4.6 μm RMS across image circle
- Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
- Off-Axis Illumination: 93% at 11mm (0.43")
- Optical Window: 46mm (1.81")
- Backfocus Distance: 29mm (1.14"); 25mm (0.98") with included camera adapter
- Optical Tube Material: Aluminum
- Optical Tube Length: 628mm (24.7")
- Optical Tube Diameter: 235mm (9.3")
- Optical Tube Weight: 17 lbs.
- Focuser: Ultra-Stable Focusing System
- Additional Features: Air-cooling system; integrated filter mount
- Dovetail: CGE mounting bar
- Mount Type: Computerized Equatorial
- Payload Capacity: 55 lbs.
- Height Adjustment Range: 47.25" - 77.5"
- Tripod Leg Diameter: 50.8mm (2") stainless steel with graduated markings on lower section
- Latitude Adjustment Range: 3° - 65°
- Total Mount Head Weight: 44 lbs.
- Accessory Tray: Included
- Tripod Weight: 19.2 lbs.
- Counterweights: 2x 11 lbs.
- Slew Speeds: 9 slew speeds - max speed 4°/second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal; Solar; Lunar
- Tracking Modes: EQ North and EQ South
- Dovetail Compatibility: Dual saddle plates (Vixen and CGE)
- Autoguider Port: Included
- USB Port: Included
- Power Requirements: 12V DC; 4 amps
- Motor Drive: Low cog DC servo motors
- Alignment Procedures: 2-Star Align; Quick Align; 1-Star Align; Last Alignment; Solar System Align
- Periodic Error Correction: Yes
- Computerized Hand Control: 2 line x 18 character backlit Liquid Crystal Display; 19 LED backlit buttons; USB 2.0 port for PC connection
- Database: 40000+ objects; 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects.
- Software: PWI Telescope Control Software; Celestron's Starry Night Special Edition Software; SkyPortal App
- Total System Weight: 124.2 lbs.
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of