QHY168C Cooled APS-C CMOS Astronomy Camera
The QHY168C is a cooled USB 3.0 color imaging camera with a large 16-megapixel sensor that offers 14-bit output. The QHY168C sports the Sony IMX071; an APS-C color sensor with a 4952 x 3288 effective array of 4.8 µm square pixels. This is the same sensor that is used in the Nikon D5100 camera. It has a dynamic range of almost 14 stops and has low readout noise, with 3.2e at lowest gain and 2.3e at high gain. The IMX071 front-illuminated sensor is housed in a sealed chamber that is heated to prevent dew from building up on either the sensor or window.
The QHY168C comes with a two-stage TEC cooling and temperature regulation system that can cool your camera down to as low as -40ºC below ambient. QHY has also incorporated anti-dew technology into the QHY168C. The CMOS chamber is fully sealed and includes a silicon gel tube socket as well as a heater to help keep both your sensor and the sensor window dry, even on damp nights.
In an effort to avoid halos around bright stars the optical window has an AR+AR coating instead of the traditional IR-Cut window normally offered on one-shot color cameras. There is, however, a trade off in that you will need to provide your own 2" IR-cut filter and mount it on the front of the camera.
The QHY168C allows for true raw image output! When you get the original signal to work with, you have maximum flexibility in the image processing stage of the process. Also, a built-in 128MB DDRII image buffer provides a safeguard against unexpected drops in data transmission. A frame buffer avoids lost frames during USB transfer by storing image data in the camera itself until it can be safely transmitted. Buffering will also make sure your video runs more smoothly when using a slower computer that cannot always handle high-speed data well.
The QHY168C camera has an anti-amp light control circuit to reduce amplifier glow significantly. Ports include a 6-pin RJ11 guide port and a 4-pin CFW2 filter wheel control port, allowing you to add an optional autoguider or filter wheel to enhance your imaging experience.
- QHYCCD QHY168C Cooled Color CMOS Imaging Camera
- 1.5 m USB 3.0 Cable
- Self-Locking Power Cable
- Angle Adjustment Adapter Ring
- 12V Power Adapter
- Drying Tube
- Dust Cap
- 2" M42 Adapter (Max Diameter: 56mm)
- Driver Download Card
- Inspection Report
Dimensions & Specifications
- Imaging Camera Series: QHY Cooled Color
- Sensor: Sony IMX071 CMOS color
- Imager Size: APS-C format
- Effective Pixels: 4952 x 3288
- Pixel Size: 4.8 µm x 4.8 µm
- Shutter: Electric Rolling
- Full Well Capacity: 46ke-
- Readout Type: Progressive Scan
- Minimum Exposure: 30 µs
- Maximum Exposure: 3600 seconds
- Max Frame Rate: 10 FPS at Full; 30 FPS at 1920 x 1080 HD
- Readout Noise: 3.2e at lowest gain; 2.3e at high gain
- Output Sample Depth: 14-Bit/8-Bit
- On Camera Image Buffer: 128 MB DDRII
- Cooling: Temperature regulated two-stage TEC typical -40ºC below ambient
- Power for Camera: USB
- Power for Cooler: +12V
- Anti-Dew Control: Air Connector for removable silicon gel tube. Heat board for optic window of sealed CCD chamber.
- Computer Interface: USB 3.0 super speed
- Telescope Interface: M42x0.75 & 2" adapter
- Color Wheel Port: 4PIN QHYCFW2 socket
- Guide Port: 6PIN RJ11
- Optic Window: AR+AR
- Electric Interface: 12V input with lock; USB3.0 socket; 4PIN QHYCFW; 6PIN RJ11
- Software: SharpCAP; ASCOM; EXCAP_QT; and FireCapture
- Weight: 15.87 oz.
DocumentationQHY168C Instruction Manual
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Most Helpful Reviews
Most Critical Reviews
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of